Voice Magazine / Stories / 2016 Spring / Uncovering the Inner Entrepreneur
Issam Ghazzawi

Uncovering the Inner Entrepreneur

For almost 125 years, the University of La Verne has been a place for those who want to exceed expectations and transform their lives. I am energized and privileged to be a part of this great mission.

As someone who is passionate about teaching, research and community service, I came to the University of La Verne 10 years ago because I saw an opportunity to expand my involvement in all of these areas. It turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

My role as Professor of Management within the College of Business and Public Management enables me to create an environment where my students analyze various situations and perspectives. Instead of treating theory as an independent entity separated from other courses and life experiences, my goal is to expand the horizons of their thinking. If I have done this, I believe I have done my job.

I believe that human progress depends on our ability to tap into the entrepreneurial spirit that lives within each of us. We must channel the unique talents, passions, and ideas we possess toward creating “good” in the world. I teach my students that the purpose of business is not only to make money, but to help people in need.

Accordingly, I serve as the Director of La Verne’s REACH Summer Business Camp, which provides underserved high school students an opportunity to live on campus and enjoy the college experience while working on a business plan. Now in its 10th year, the program has gained a reputation of being among the best programs in the region to motivate high school students to pursue college education.

The objective of this program is to put college within the reach of any student no matter how unattainable a goal it may seem. I also value my time in leading our national award-winning student organization, Enactus.

As part of a global nonprofit organization, Enactus brings together students, academics, and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurship to transform lives, shape our society, and help sustain a better world.

Our university team has been very successful in energizing our local community and sustaining an increased level of giving back to those in urgent need.

For nearly 125 years, the University of La Verne has been a place for those who want to exceed expectations and transform their lives.

I am energized and privileged to be a part of this great mission. As someone who is passionate about teaching, research and community service, I came to the University of La Verne 10 years ago because I saw an opportunity to expand my involvement in all of these areas.

It turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

My role as Professor of Management within the College of Business and Public Management enables me to create an environment where my students analyze various situations and perspectives.

Instead of treating theory as an independent entity separated from other courses and life experiences, my goal is to expand the horizons of their thinking.

If I have done this, I believe I have done my job.

I believe that human progress depends on our ability to tap into the entrepreneurial spirit that lives within each of us. We must channel the unique talents, passions, and ideas we possess toward creating “good” in the world.

I teach my students that the purpose of business is not only to make money, but to help people in need.

Accordingly, I serve as the Director of the University’s REACH Summer Business Camp, providing underserved high school students an opportunity to live on campus and enjoy the college experience while working on a business plan.

Now in its 10th year, the program has gained a reputation of being among the best programs in the region to motivate high school students to pursue college education.

I also value my time in leading our national award-winning student organization, Enactus. As part of a global non-profit organization, Enactus brings together students, academics, and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurship to transform lives, shape our society, and help sustain a better world. Our university team has been very successful in energizing our local community and sustaining an increased level of giving back to those in urgent need.

Top